ILSP Keeps services running securely and gains scalability with Google Cloud Platform
Having technology a tis core, the company’s mission is to satisfy the requirements of our Commercial Partners regarding security, surpassing their expectations through integral solutions , based on the use of technology, intelligence strategies and tactics of immediate reaction. ILSP system’s continuously monitor thousands of transport units throughout the country, providing security and efficiency metrics in real time to its customers.
Its legacy infrastructure, hosted on-premise, consists of physical windows servers with web server (IIS) and relational database server (SQL Server) roles. The company’s core monitoring application has been developed in-house by ILSP’s development team. It constantly receives GPS locations and general information directly from the units through and web API, which afterwards saves the received data in a traditional SQL Server relational database which then processes the information and creates a set of required business reports and KPIs. Using a web interface, employees and clientes the log to the application in order to visualize these.
The clients was facing three main challenges spawned from this current architecture:
- The SQL relational database has reached an alarming size which is affecting its performance and generating high costs in both licensing and infrastructure.
- Both the web API and the web App do not offer high availability, which is required due to the company’s business model
- The current infrastructure does not provide the required Big Data capabilities
Further more, the current architecture proved difficult to update, prone to disruptions and outages and took months to implement significant changes. ILSP knew it was giving up an edge to those competitors and decided to search for a solution.
ILSP CIO, Ricardo, Cruz, first contacted Nubosoft in early 2017. His goal, was to evaluate Google Cloud Platform as a viable option for the company’s infrastructure. Our team of cloud engineers, evaluated the current architecture a proposed a gradual migration approach that would ensure the success of the project and avoid any outages throughout the process. After establishing a hybrid environment configurando a Site-to-site VPN, the lift-and-shift process started with the development and testing environments, followed by non-critical applications and finally ending with the production servers.
Nubosoft worked side by side with the company’s IT team, overseeing every step of the migration process and ensuring that the client’s expectations where being met. Once the lift-and-shift phase was successfully finished, propositions where made aimed at optimizing the current architecture with new cloud based server-less and scalable services. These are some of the given recommendations:
- Web servers stopped using a local file storage for BLOB files and started using Cloud Storage. This contributed to lower costs, better performance and the ability to have automatic scalability in the future.
- The location data received from the transport units is now stored in a non-structured and scalable database such as BigTable. This greatly reduced the workload for the relational database, lowering costs and improving the overall user experience.
- BigQuery was introduced as a data lake solution for the entire organization. Providing a single, highly scalable Big Data warehouse for the company’s needs.
Running their business on the cloud has given ILSP the scalability it needs to remain competitive., they now have the freedom to seek out more clients without being concerned about their ability to handle customer requests. And all that time saved not worrying about their infrastructure has helped them bring more and better product features.